Post-doctoral position offered
The Forest Science and Technology Center of Catalonia (CTFC) is seeking to appoint a post-doctoral researcher to work on the Project DRESS (Water use and drought resistance strategies at different scales: from homeostatic mechanisms to regional vegetation dynamics; ref. CGL2017-89149-C2-2-R, financed by the Agencia Estatal de Investigación (AEI). The project is coordinated between CREAF and CTFC institutions (both in Catalonia, Spain), and the postdoc position is linked to the modelling subproject to be developed at CTFC. A summary of the project can be found here.
The postdoc will be based at CTFC in Solsona (Pre-Pyrenees, 120 km from Barcelona) as member of the VegMod group, but will work in tight collaboration with the EcoPhys group at CREAF and with other international research groups.
The contract will start at the end of 2019 or beginning 2020, with a duration of 24 months and an annual gross salary of 26,510.00€.
- Contributing to the development (design, parametrization and validation) of process‐based models aiming at predicting forest functional responses to drought. In particular, the postdoc is expected to assist in the development of submodels for carbon economy, growth, plant phenology or plant mortality, while considering the plasticity of traits driving these processes.
- Contributing to the implementation of these processes into an existing R package for computer simulations.
- Applying process-based modelling tools to project forest dynamics and related ecosystem services at different scales from stand to region under different climate change and management scenarios.
- First degree in Biology, Forest Sciences, Environmental Sciences, or equivalent.
- A completed PhD on a topic related to the current project description.
- Demonstrable expertise in programming and in using advanced statistical techniques in R. Expertise in C/C++ programming is also valued.
- Experience in the development and/or application of (preferably process-based) forest ecosystem models.
- Authorship of relevant publications in high impact journals.
- Knowledge of English.
- Experience in working alongside and/or coordinating large research groups, preferably if in an international environment.
- Authorship of relevant publications in this field.
- Advanced knowledge of English.
SELECTION PROCESS AND CRITERIA
The selection process is led by the research project team, and will be overseen by the Human Resources Area of CTFC. This process consist of:
- Admission of candidates: applicants must submit a curriculum vitae, a cover letter (maximum 500 words) by e-mail to email@example.com, until August 31st, 2019 at 2:00 p.m., indicating the reference number: 09 - 2019 / 20124
- Pre-selection: determination of compliance with the minimum requirements of the offer by Sept. 15th, 2019.
- Selection: assessment of the preselected candidates by means of personal interviews conducted by the researchers leading the project.
- Final decision: in case of finding the suitable person, the election will be formally communicated to him/her by Oct. 15th, 2019.